Eternal rest give unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. (Psalm) A hymn, O God, becometh Thee in Sion; and a vow shall be paid to Thee in Jerusalem: hear my prayer; all flesh shall come to Thee. Eternal rest give unto them…
O God, the Creator and Redeemer of all the faithful: grant to the souls of Thy servants and handmaidens the remission of all their sins: that through pious supplications, they may obtain that pardon which they have always desired: Who livest and reignest.
Epistle – I Corinthians 15:51-57
Brethren: Behold, I tell you a mystery: we shall all indeed rise again, but we shall not all be changed. In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet; for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall rise again incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. And when this mortal hath put on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written: Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where is thy victory? O death, where is thy sting?
Now the sting of death is sin: and the strength of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, Who hath given us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
Eternal rest give unto them, O Lord; and let perpetual light shine upon them. The just shall be in everlasting remembrance; he shall not fear the evil hearing.
Absolve, O Lord, the souls of all the faithful departed from every bond of sin. And by the help of Thy grace may they be enabled to escape the avenging judgement. And enjoy the bliss of everlasting light.
1. Day of wrath and doom impending, David’s word with Sibyl’s blending, Heaven and earth in ashes ending.
2. O what fear man’s bosom rendeth, When from heaven the Judge descendeth, On Whose sentence all dependeth.
3. Wondrous sound the trumpet flingeth, Through earth’s sepulchers it ringeth, All before the throne it bringeth.
4. Death is struck, and nature quaking, All creation is awaking, To its Judge an answer making.
5. Lo, the book exactly worded, Wherein all hath been recorded, Thence shall judgement be awarded.
6. When the Judge His seat attaineth, All each hidden deed arraigneth, Nothing unavenged remaineth.
7. What shall I, frail man, be pleading? Who for me be interceding When the just are mercy needed?
8. King of majesty tremendous, Who dost free salvation send us, Fount of pity, then befriend us.
9. Think, kind Jesus, my salvation Caused Thy wondrous Incarnation, Leave me not to reprobation.
10. Faint and weary Thou hast sought me, On the cross of suffering bought me, Shall such grace be vainly brought me?
11. Righteous Judge, for sin’s pollution Grant Thy gift of absolution, Ere that day of retribution.
12. Guilty now I pour my moaning, All my shame with anguish owning, Spare, O God, Thy suppliant groaning.
13. Through the sinful woman shriven, Through the dying thief forgiven, Thou to me a hope last given.
14. Worthless are my prayers and sighing, Yet, good Lord, in grace complying, Rescue me from fires undying.
15. With Thy sheep a place provide me, From the goats afar divide me, To Thy right hand do Thou guide me.
16. When the wicked are confounded, Doomed to flames of woe unbounded, Call me with Thy Saints surrounded.
17. Low I kneel with heart’s submission; See, like ashes, my contrition, Help me in my last condition.
18. Ah! That day of tears and mourning, From the dust of earth returning.
19. Man for judgement must prepare him, Spare, O God, in mercy spare him.
20. Lord all-pitying, Jesus blest, Grant them Thine eternal rest. Amen.
Gospel – John 5:25-29
At that time, Jesus said to the multitude of the Jews: Amen, amen I say unto you, that the hour cometh, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God; and they that hear shall live.
For as the Father hath life in Himself, so He hath given the Son also to have life in Himself; And He hath given Him power to do judgment, because He is the Son of man. Wonder not at this, for the hour cometh wherein all that are in the graves shall hear the voice of the Son of God; and they that have done good things shall come forth unto the resurrection of life, but they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of judgment.
O Lord Jesus Christ, King of glory, deliver the souls of all the faithful departed from the pains of hell and from the bottomless pit: deliver them from the lion’s mouth, that hell swallow them not up, that they fall not into darkness, but let the standard-bearer holy Michael lead them into that holy light: Which Thou didst promise of old to Abraham and to his seed.
We offer to Thee, O Lord, sacrifices and prayers: do Thou receive them in behalf of those souls of whom we make memorial this day. Grant them, O Lord, to pass from death to that life, Which Thou didst promise of old to Abraham and to his seed.
Mercifully regard, we beseech Thee, O Lord, the Sacrifice which we offer Thee for the souls of Thy servants and handmaidens: that to those to whom Thou didst grant the favor of the Christian Faith Thou wouldst also grant due reward. Through our Lord.
May light eternal shine upon them, O Lord, with Thy Saints for evermore: for Thou art gracious. Eternal rest give to them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them: With Thy Saints for evermore, for Thou art gracious.
May the prayer of Thy suppliant people, we beseech Thee, O Lord, avail the souls of Thy servants and handmaidens: that Thou mayest deliver them from all their sins and make them sharers in Thy Redemption: Who livest and reignest.