From parish bulletin of Saint Andrew Parish.
1. Lent is the principal season of penance in our Catholic calendar. Everyone is urged to develop and follow a program of voluntary self-denial, attentiveness to prayer, and especially to works of charity and mercy.
2. Everyone of 14 years of age or over is bound to abstain from meat on Ash Wednesday, March 1, 2017, and all the Fridays of Lent.
3. Everyone of 18 years of age and under 59 years of age is bound to fast on Ash Wednesday, March 1, 2017, and Good Friday, April 14, 2017.
4. On these two days of fast and abstinence, Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, only one full meatless meal is allowed. Two other meatless meals, sufficient to maintain strength, may be taken according to each ones needs, but together they cannot equal another full meal. Eating between meals is not permitted on days of fast, but liquids are allowed. When health or ability to work would be seriously affected, the law does not oblige.
5. To disregard completely the law of fast and abstinence is a serious matter.